MINSK, December 20 (Itar-Tass) -- A criminal case has been opened in Belarus into the fact of mass riot staged into the center of Minsk to coincide with the date of the election of the president of Belarus, the Interior Ministry of Belarus told Itar-Tass on Monday.
Law enforcement bodies were informed that certain presidential candidates had been planning unauthorized mass acts. The candidates made it clear that they wanted the people to go to the streets, thus calling into question the results of the presidential election. Such provocative appeals had been repeatedly addressed to the population during the election campaign, the Interior Ministry said.
As a result, the meeting, which began quite peacefully turned into an attempt to storm the building of the Council of Ministers where the Central Election Commission has its headquarters. It was the building of the Council of Ministers where the crowd moved from Oktyabrskaya Square. Approaching the building participants in the riot took to metallic rods, stones and ice balls. Having smashed window glass from several windows the infuriated crowd broke inside. Then, a resolution was made to cut short the riot and prevent its proliferation, the Inferior Ministry said.